King Lear: A Verse Translation (Paperback)
Ships from our warehouse today
This revised 2nd edition of King Lear: A Verse Translation makes the language of Shakespeare's play more modern while preserving the rhythm, complexity, and poetic qualities of the original. The aim is to capture the sound and sense of Shakespeare's tragedy without the need for glosses or notes-to use contemporary language without simplifying or modernizing the play in any other way.
- Line-by-line verse translation, not a prose paraphrase.
- Complete. No lines deleted or simplified.
- Accurate and authentic iambic pentameter.
- True to the feel and look of Shakespeare's original.
- Tone, complexity, and poetic devices preserved.
- Vocabulary range matches Shakespeare's.
- Uncluttered, easy-to-read layout.
- Ready for theatrical performance.
--John McWhorter, Manhattan Institute.