Carissa (she/her) is the most recent addition to our Brilliant bookselling team. Learn a little bit about her here — or stop by to get her recent recommendations.
Tell us about yourself:
I grew up in Grand Haven, MI and went to college at Purdue University, where I received a dual B.A. in Anthropology and Classical Studies. My wife Olivia and I recently moved to Traverse City with our cats, Lump and Peach. I've always felt a connection to Michigan and couldn't wait to relocate after living in central Indiana for six years! Currently, I am earning my M. S. in Library and Information Science from Indiana University. When I'm not at work, I can often be found crocheting or sitting in a cafe somewhere reading or people-watching, but my wife and I love to go camping at LEAST two or three times a year, traveling, and learning to cook new recipes from all over the world.
What are the five books you’ll never part with?
It's honestly so hard to pick, but if I had to choose, I'd go with The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery), The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky), Under the Whispering Door (T.J. Klune), Braiding Sweetgrass (Robin Wall Kimmerer), and The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls)
If you weren’t a bookseller, what would you be doing instead?
Well, I am currently going for my Master's in Library Science, so most likely working in a library! But I also have always wanted to own a coffeeshop with my wife.
Top five most interesting things about you
- I have grapheme-color synesthesia, which means that letters and numbers are associated with different colors in my head. It definitely helps me remember things better and makes reading a lot more interesting!
- I have traveled to ten different countries!
- I have crocheted for about five and a half years now and have my own Etsy shop.
- I can read and write in Ancient Greek.
- I was voted "Most Likely to Become an Author" in high school.
You’re browsing a bookstore. What’s the first section you gravitate toward?
Science Fiction/Fantasy and Young Adult