Working at Brilliant Books
Interested in joining the Brilliant Books team? We'll post any available positions here! Please make sure to read the description and instructions thoroughly. To get a sense of our current team, check out our Meet the Staff profiles.
Part-Time to Full-Time Bookseller
A flexible position of up to 40 hours per week (depending on the applicant's needs and abilities), potentially including early evenings and weekend days. The person in this role would assist customers by recommending and locating books and other items, special-ordering items not currently in stock, and general bookstore tasks such as shelving, dusting, creating displays, and writing reviews. We're looking for someone with excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills, as well as great communication skills. We work in a team environment, so the ability to get along with and look out for your coworkers is a must, but every bookseller brings their own strengths to the position—we'd love to know yours! The ability to manage your time, prioritize tasks, and know when to tag in a teammate or ask for help are essential. Depending on the applicant, this position may track toward a managerial role in the future, with commensurate increases in pay and benefits.
Please be aware that this position is quite physical, involving shifts up to eight hours on your feet (with breaks, of course), as well as navigating stairs, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 30 lbs on a regular basis.
Skills and Requirements:
- Experience in customer service or retail is highly preferred; bookstore experience even more so
- Passion for, and knowledge of, books and literature
- Excellent customer service skills
- Comfortable with a range of technology and software systems
- Self-motivated and conscientious in your work
All booksellers receive a compensation package commensurate with experience, including:
- Hourly wage beginning at $17 minimum (excluding paid two week training period)
- Paid time off for sick leave and personal days available upon hiring
- Paid vacation available at 90 days employment
- Healthcare package available at 90 days employment (plan information and pricing available here)
- Shared tips divided based on hours worked; all tips are in addition to hourly wage
- Reimbursement for downtown parking, up to $38/month
The expected compensation package for a full-time bookseller after one year (assuming $17/hour starting wage) is approximately $19/hour, including tips and healthcare coverage.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter introducing yourself, your reading interests, and why you feel you'd be a good fit for the Brilliant Books team to working@Brilliant-Books.net
Brilliant Books employees may choose to enroll in our group health insurance plan through Priority Health. In compliance with federal health care transparency regulations, full access to coverage and cost information will be publicly available as of July 1, 2022.